So when I first finished this olive green Seamwork Erica dress, I had such high hopes. It was even one of my 2018 Make Nine. And when I tried it on I felt pretty disappointed. The waist was too low, I had to alter it to remove some significant gaping, the elastic insertion in the neckband is weird and the armscye felt too flat. Basically I chalked it up to “this is why we muslin” and moved on, kind of bummed.
And then I put this dress on for Me Made May, wore it all day and LOVED it. I have no explanation why. Maybe after a few weeks, the issues didn’t seem so glaring and I could see the things to like. At this point, I’m not questioning it.
Okay, so the things I love about this dress:
- Long sleeved dresses are fantastic. Seriously. I feel so put together and classy in them.
- The slim fit skirt is really flattering
- Olive green is definitely my color
- Wrap style dresses are SO GREAT at defining your waistline. I absolutely love this silhouette.
Things I’d change about this dress for next time:
- Shorten the bodice by an inch, maybe two. It’s not quite hitting at my natural waist and the tie really wants to sit there. As a result, I feel like it’s pulling upward toward my natural waist a lot. There is no lengthen/shorten line on the pattern, but I’ll slash perpendicular to the grain line below the armscye.
- Remove a little bit of fabric at the front bottom edge of the crossover bodice, to pull the neckline in a little tighter. I have a pretty small chest, so this is probably not something other, more averagely endowed ladies would need to do.
- Eliminate the weird elastic insertion on the neckline that, near as I can tell, does not a damn thing.
- Change the armscye and sleeve head to the Tilly and the Buttons Agnes tee, which is a MUCH better fit. I find Seamwork’s armscyes and sleeve heads are weirdly flat.
Now I know that seems like a lot of things to change, but they all feel pretty minor to me. And they definitely don’t take away from how much I love wearing this Erica dress. It’s kind of too bad I didn’t realize how much I like it until it’s too hot to wear!
Has this ever happened to you? Where you initially wrote off a garment and then fell in love later?